Hello Tualatin Soccer Club Members,
This week our League (the Tualatin Hills Junior Soccer League) met for a Special COVID-19 session. The THJSL Board decided by a vote of the quorum present to cancel the Fall 2020 youth recreational soccer season. Consequently, interclub play will not be taking place. Several of the member clubs have already canceled their recreational season but TSC has been holding out in hopes that we would get some direction from our leaders in Government.
The board did not make this decision lightly but overall felt the safety of all concerned – players, coaches, parents, grandparents – overrides the desire we all have to get the kids out there practicing and playing.
Important factors in the decision include the following:
- Washington County is still in Phase 1 and it does not appear that transition to Phase 2 will be happening soon; at least, not soon enough to commence playing soccer.
- Beaverton School District – which provides a significant portion of our practice and game fields – has not released any fields to us and it does not appear that they will be able to do so in the foreseeable future.
- TTSD is not allowing any youth sports on their fields unless the school is in-person
- High school soccer conducted for the schools has been postponed until spring.
- 3 Member clubs have already canceled their season due to a lack of field space.
- Issues with promoting a cross-community program and increasing the spread of the virus.
This does not mean that soccer is not available in the area. There are several programs close to us that are still moving forward but none of the Recreational programs will continue this year.
Options for Soccer:
- Soccer Shots for kids 3yrs - 7yrs old. These are currently being held at parks in Tigard including Cook Park.
- Normally we would have recommended Tualatin Indoor Soccer but they are currently closed due to COVID-19
Player Development Academy (PDA or YDP) for U8-U10 ages. This is a season based, academy style program with a mix of professional and parent coaches to develop younger soccer players, get them familiar with training at higher levels, and start agility training. This program is 2 days of training and one day of games (if a League is available)
Competitive Club Soccer. These clubs have staff and are able to create programs that may be of interest to you. They typically have professional coaches and are currently moving forward with a modified season for Fall.
Local Rec Clubs may also be offering camps or some sort of small-sided games when we reach Phase 2. However, we have no indication from the Governor as to when that might be possible.
Thank you for your understanding of yet another impact COVID-19 is having on us all. It is unfortunate but we are all in this together so please help us curb the Spread of the Virus by following the 3 W’s: Wash your hands, Wear a mask, and Watch your social distancing.
Stay Safe and Stay Well,
Tualatin Soccer Club Board of Directors